Skip to main content

MRB IV evacuated after early morning fire; no injuries

May. 1, 2011, 8:44 AM

MRB IV (Vanderbilt University/Susan Urmy)

Police evacuated the MRB IV building early Thursday after a gas leak was detected in one room on the eighth floor of a laboratory building and contained.

The leak, caused by a faulty freon compressor, was contained in Room 8424 of the building. The incident began about 6:40 a.m. The building was reopened at about 8:30 a.m., said Lt. Randy McClain of the Vanderbilt Police Department.

Three hazardous waste workers from the Metro Nashville Fire Department were taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center as a precaution before the chemical was identified as freon. They were uninjured.

There was no decontamination or air quality issues on campus because of the incident, a representative of the Fire Department said.

Thursday was Senior Day at Vanderbilt, with many graduates, parents and their friends on campus for activities leading to Commencement on May 13. There were morning traffic delays because of the incident.

Recent Stories from VUMC News and Communications Publications

Keeping pace: Nashville, once a mid-size city with a Southern small-town feel, is experiencing explosive growth.

Vanderbilt Medicine

Keeping pace: Nashville, once a mid-size city with a Southern small-town feel, is experiencing explosive growth.

VUMC campus

VUMC campus

Vanderbilt University School of Medicine entrance

Vanderbilt University School of Medicine entrance

Vanderbilt University Adult Hospital with helipad

Vanderbilt University Adult Hospital with helipad

more