Nominations sought for 2016 Research Staff Awards, 2017 School of Medicine Faculty AwardsJan. 11, 2017, 12:37 PM
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2016 Research Staff Awards and the 2017 School of Medicine Faculty Awards.
2016 Research Staff Awards
Please consider the most impactful research initiatives from 2016 when submitting nominations in the following categories:
- Edward E. Price Jr. Award for Basic Research – recognizes excellence in conducting basic research
- Vivien Thomas Award for Clinical Research – recognizes excellence in conducting clinical research
- Contributing to Multi-investigator Teams – recognizes excellence in research contributing to multidisciplinary teams
Eligible staff includes research assistants I, II and III; senior research specialists; research nurses; research support staff; or any staff member who provides exemplary research support.
Faculty members, research fellows, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students are not eligible.
Nominations should be sent electronically via a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 20. Nomination packages must include a nomination form and letter, with accompanying support letters and an updated CV.
Please clearly indicate the award category for which you are nominating the individual. Award recipients will be announced at a luncheon in their honor in April.
The nomination form can be downloaded here.
2017 School of Medicine Faculty Awards
Nominations are now being accepted for the Vanderbilt School of Medicine Faculty Awards in the following categories:
The School of Medicine Awards for Excellence in Teaching
- Frank H. Boehm Award – for contributions to continuing medical education
- Gerald S. Gotterer Award – for innovation in educational programming that has proven to be effective
- Peter Guengerich Award – for mentoring postdoctoral fellows or residents in the research setting
- John S. Sergent Award – for teaching medical or graduate students in the small group setting
- Thomas A. Hazinski Award – for effectiveness in mentoring and professional development of faculty
The School of Medicine Awards for Outstanding Performance of Clinical Service
- Noel B. Tulipan Award – for clinical excellence in a surgical or procedural discipline
- Gottlieb C. (Bud) Friesinger II Award – for an outstanding early career clinician
The School of Medicine Awards for Excellence in Research
- William J. Darby Award – for translational research that has changed the practice of medicine worldwide
- Sidney P. Colowick Award – for research that serves as a platform for discovery in diverse areas
- Ernest W. Goodpasture Award– for groundbreaking research that addresses the pathogenesis of infectious diseases or important biological problems in immunity
- Richard M. Caprioli Award – for development, implementation and/or creation of technology that elevates the research and science of multiple investigators
- John A. Oates Award – for two or more faculty working collaboratively or in a multidisciplinary manner to address important biological processes and/or diseases and science of multiple investigators
Award recipients are nominated by their faculty colleagues and chosen by the 2017 VUMC Academic Enterprise Faculty Awards Selection Committees.
Research Award nominations must be submitted as a single PDF by Feb. 1 to the VUMC Office of Research, in care of Megan Smallwood at email@example.com.
Teaching/Clinical Service Award nominations must be submitted as a single PDF by Feb. 1 to the School of Medicine’s Office of Faculty Affairs, in care of Auda Hutto at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please exclude any previous winners of any research or teaching award unless you feel they have made a substantial new discovery or contribution (historical list found here).
Each submission must include the following:
- A letter of nomination (typically from a department chair or center director, but may be submitted by other colleagues as well)
- Three supporting letters from colleagues
- For the School of Medicine Teaching Awards, additional supporting letters from fellows, residents and students; letters from individuals previously trained by the nominee are not required, but are strongly encouraged
- A current CV
Please consider nominating deserving faculty for this award. We look forward to your submissions. If you have any questions regarding the Teaching or Clinical awards, contact email@example.com in the Office of Faculty Affairs. If you have questions regarding the Research awards, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the Office of Research.