VUMC named among Top Hospitals for Diversity in nationMar. 2, 2020, 1:02 PM
by Kathy Whitney
Vanderbilt University Medical Center was named among the 2019 Top Hospitals for Diversity by BlackDoctor.org (BDO), an online source of health and wellness information.
Each hospital on the list delivers quality care at the highest level, while promoting equity and inclusion in their operations, programs, services and staffing.
The determining critical areas of assessment for a top hospital include:
- Recognition of the institution among and by other leading hospitals
- Commitment to the American Hospital Association’s Equity of Care Pledge
- Recognized delivery of quality healthcare services
- Inclusive and diverse clinical and administrative staff
- Persons of color and women represented at the highest levels,including the board of directors and senior level executives
- Culturally competent medical and professional staff
- Significant investment and profile in community health programs and initiatives
A few years ago, VUMC leaders conducted a detailed analysis to determine four important projects and programs that should be part of the Medical Center’s strategic directions for the next ten or more years. The four compass points are Design for Patients and Families; Discover, Learn and Share; Amplify Innovation; and Making Diversity and Inclusion Intentional.
“I feel that our continued inclusion in this group of top peer medical centers reflects the team effort that exists at VUMC. For it is only through building robust and intentional partnerships in the diversity and inclusion space that the Office for Diversity Affairs and the Program of LGBTQI Health have been successful,” said André Churchwell, MD, Chief Diversity Officer for VUMC.
“This award also reflects the work of Dr. Arie Nettles in the Office of Inclusion and Health Equity and Cory Colton of the HR-education team in assisting us in addressing uncivil behaviors, such as unconscious bias and sexual harassment, that allows us to create the type of culture and climate at VUMC to build a true community within our walls.”