Nominations open for 2022 School of Medicine Faculty Awards; deadline is Jan. 21Dec. 20, 2021, 4:00 PM
Nominations are now open for the 2022 School of Medicine Faculty Awards. The School of Medicine Faculty Awards recognize excellence in teaching, clinical service, and research. They are given by the faculty to the faculty. It is the recognition of extraordinary contribution by peers that makes these awards unique and most valued. The annual Awards for Excellence in Teaching, Extraordinary Performance of Clinical Service, and Outstanding Contributions to Research are proud Vanderbilt traditions.The awards for Excellence in Teaching in the School of Medicine are named in honor of faculty who have exemplified the specifics of each award. The awards for Extraordinary Performance of Clinical Service are named in honor of past faculty physicians who were innovators in clinical care. The awards for Outstanding Contributions to Research are named in honor of current and past Vanderbilt faculty who were recognized during their careers by election to the National Academy of Sciences. These awards are a testimony to the exceptional and extraordinary achievements of our School of Medicine faculty.
The categories of recognition are cycled by even and odd years. For year 2022, the categories and awards of recognition are the following:
Awards for Excellence in Teaching
- Robert D. Collins, M.D., Award – For Teaching Medical or Graduate Students or Practicing Physicians in the Lecture Setting
- Jacek Hawiger, M.D., Ph.D., Award – For Teaching Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows in the Classroom, Lecture, or Small Group Setting
- Denis M. O’Day, M.D., Award – For Team-Implemented Curriculum Reform
- R. Michael Rodriguez, M.D., Award – For Teaching Medical Students, Residents, and/or Fellows in the Clinical Setting
- Elaine Sanders-Bush, Ph.D., Award – For Mentoring Graduate and/or Medical Students in the Research Setting
Awards for Extraordinary Performance of Clinical Service
- W. Anderson Spickard, Jr., M.D., Award – For Clinical Excellence in a Cognitive Discipline
- Mildred T. Stahlman, M.D., Award – For Innovation in Clinical Care
- John L. Tarpley, M.D., Award – For Commitment to Care of Underserved Communities (new in 2018)
Awards for Outstanding Contributions to Research
- Stanley Cohen, Ph.D., D.Sc., Award – For Research Bridging Diverse Disciplines, such as Chemistry or Physics, to Solve Biology’s Most Important Fundamental Questions
- John H. Exton, M.B.Ch.B., M.D., Ph.D., Award – For Research Leading to Innovative Biological Concepts
- Grant W. Liddle, M.D., Award – For Outstanding Contributions in Clinical Research
- Charles R. Park, M.D., Award – For Basic Research Revealing Insights into Physiology and Pathophysiology
- Kevin B. Johnson, M.D. Award – For innovative approaches advancing clinical practice and/or biomedical research
- Kathryn M. Edwards, M.D. Award – For Clinical and Translational Research Impacting Disease Prevention
Award recipients are nominated by their faculty colleagues and chosen by the VUMC Academic Enterprise Faculty Awards Selection Committees.
The deadline to submit a nomination is noon on Jan. 21, 2022.
For faculty in the Basic Science Department, please use this link: https://redcap.vanderbilt.edu/surveys/?s=K4RM3HFJRFLX47KA
For faculty in the Clinical Departments, please use this link: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=MFBX7yQU2E64PBLFM9h5q_JLGPICNjFAvebTRoqkcDhUMkYwQzcyMlkyQVpHTTlTRUlIVExBQzE3WS4u
Each submission must include the following:
- A letter of nomination (typically from Department Chair or Center Director)
- Three supporting letters from colleagues
- For the School of Medicine Teaching Awards, additional supporting letters from fellows, residents and students are not required but are strongly encouraged
- Nominee’s current CV
*Please exclude any previous winners of Faculty Awards unless you feel they have made a substantial new discovery or contribution (historical list can be found here). If you have any questions, please contact Maureen Gannon, Ph.D., Associate Dean for Faculty Development (Maureen.email@example.com).