Request for Applications: Course Director(s), Integrated Science Course, VUSM Immersion Phase (Years 3 and 4)Nov. 16, 2022, 4:37 PM
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine (VUSM) is requesting applications for Course Directors to develop and direct a new Integrated Science Course (ISC) during the Immersion Phase of the MD curriculum. The following topics are of particular interest: Pediatrics, Interprofessional Learning, Developmental Health, Personalized Medicine, Climate Change in Health, and/or LGBTQ+ Health. ISCs are designed to strengthen students’ conceptual understanding of the foundational sciences (e.g., pharmacology, population health, social science, etc.) that underpin clinical medicine through active learning modalities and meaningful clinical experiences. ISCs are 4-weeks in length and offered a minimum of 2 times per academic year to a minimum of 16 students total per academic year. Typically, each ISC has at least 2 course directors; applicants may apply in teams. All ISCs go through a mentored process of initial development and subsequent annual quality improvement. Salary support is provided.
It is expected that course directors:
- Have a Vanderbilt faculty appointment
- Develop a high-quality, integrated course (i.e., clear, achievable learning objectives linked to multimodal instructional strategies and assessments) that addresses one or more of the topics detailed above
- Pilot the course in the spring of the 2023-24 academic year (January, February or March 2024)
- Offer the course a minimum of 2 times per academic year to a minimum of 16 students total per academic year after the pilot in the 2023-24 academic year.
- Complete course administrative tasks (e.g., grade submission, midcourse feedback) by the specified deadlines
- Participate in monthly faculty development sessions and course quality improvement efforts
To apply, email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 17, 2023:
- Statement of Interest: Describe why you are interested in developing and directing an integrated science course, including your unique qualifications
- Brief Course Description: Prove a brief description (no more than 1 page) of your idea for the course. This description should include a justification for the topic, proposed clinical placements, and proposed foundational sciences taught during the course.
- Curriculum Vitae
Additional information about the Immersion Phase and current ISCs can be found at:
- https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/md-gateway/integrated-science-courses-assessment/ (requires VUNet ID)