Link building update: New Central Garage traffic flow in placeMar. 17, 2023, 11:48 AM
The latest phase of the 15-level Link Building project is complete. As of this past weekend, several patient friendly improvements to traffic flow around and within the Central Garage have gone into effect.
On-site signage and additional traffic officers at key intersections, will help guide visitors and members of the VUMC community to navigate these new traffic patterns.
- The traffic light located at 21st Avenue South and Vivien Thomas Way were relocated North on 21st Avenue at the entrance of the future Link Building. This is the new route to the Medical Center East north and south towers pick-up and drop-off.
- Vivien Thomas Way permanently closed to vehicle traffic to expand the construction footprint that will become the patient-drop off area of the future Link Building. Plans to honor pioneer researcher Vivien Thomas in a visible and meaningful way are being developed.
- A new entrance only to the Central Garage opened on 21st Avenue South. Patients who self-park can now access the new entrance while approaching campus from 21st Avenue South and taking a right turn into the garage. Drivers traveling north on 21st Avenue South, now use the turning lane to turn left into the Central Garage.
- A new exit only from the Central Garage will open on Pierce Avenue to make exiting the garage more convenient for patients.
- Traffic flow on Central Garage levels 2 and 3 will be permanently re-routed to better accommodate the new entrance and exit. On-site signage will direct drivers.
- Deliveries to Oxford House can be made through the newly created Medical Center East and Link Tower intersection/entrance, which is located just north of the current location. Deliveries will be on the back side of Oxford House.
- NEW: For safety, foot traffic is no longer allowed on the second-floor deck that connects the Central Garage to the second floor of Medical Center East.
- A new entrance for Oxford House occupants and visitors is being created on the alley side of the building between Oxford House and Medical Center East.
What Will Not Change at this time:
- The entrance/exit to the Central Garage from Medical Center Drive will not be impacted.
- No foot traffic routes for those parking in the garage will change.
- All elevators in the garage will remain open.
- The road closure on Medical Center drive will remain through the duration of the multi-year project.