Fight the flu with Flulapalooza — annual event is Sept. 27Aug. 30, 2023, 4:26 PM
Flu season is right around the corner, and we want to help you stay healthy. The best way to reduce the risk of getting and spreading the flu is by receiving the flu vaccination. Flulapalooza is an easy and fun way to get your flu shot.
Here are the details:
- Date/Time: Wednesday, Sept. 27 from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Location: The tent between Light Hall and the VA Hospital. Enter the event through Light Hall, North Lobby.
- Who: VUMC faculty and staff are invited
- Bring your Vanderbilt ID and wear short sleeves.
- Offsite and/or remote employees, please park in the 25th Avenue Garage and enter through the 24th Avenue entrance. You will not need a parking sticker if you are attending the event.
“Flu viruses can change from year to year, so it is important to receive the vaccination every year to reduce your risk of catching or spreading it,” said Ana Nobis, MD, MPH, FACOEM, the medical director of the Occupational Health Clinic. “The flu can cause symptoms that range from mild to severe and can cause serious illness especially among children, adults 65 years and older, and adults living with other health conditions. I always make sure my entire family is vaccinated, including my three daughters. Our team at Occupational Health Clinic is excited to help everyone stay healthy and safe this year with our 11th annual Flulapalooza event.”
Flu vaccines can take up to two weeks after being administered to provide full protection, so it is recommended to get your flu vaccination in September or by the end of October to ensure the greatest protection throughout the entire flu season. However, even after October it is still beneficial to get your flu vaccine. For people 65 years and older, a high-dose flu vaccine is recommended. The high-dose flu vaccine will be available at Flulapalooza for eligible individuals.
As a reminder, the deadline to receive the flu vaccine or submit an approved exemption is Dec. 1. For more information about the flu and Flulapalooza, visit the OHC Employee Influenza Vaccine Program.