Department of Radiology to host third annual Diversity, Equity and Inclusion WeekOct. 18, 2023, 3:28 PM
by Jackson Hicks
The Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences at Vanderbilt University Medical Center is set to host its third annual Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Week Oct. 23-27, featuring in-person and virtual lectures that examine the relationship between health care and DEI.
A joint effort of the department’s health equity initiative and Office of Diversity and Inclusion, DEI week features leaders and experts from across the health care industry with a daily lecture and gathering. While all events will be hybrid, and some of the speakers will be remote, each day will have an in-person opportunity to join together, enjoy a meal and learn.
This year, speakers from VUMC, Duke Health, Mount Sinai Morningside, the University of Maryland, and the University of Michigan will lead audiences as they address microaggressions and health disparities, emerging technology’s implications on patient care and more.
- Monday Oct. 23 — “The Biology of Discrimination: Social Genomics and Health Equity” with Ruth Carlos, MD, MS, University of Michigan
- Tuesday Oct. 24 — “Microaggressions in the Medical Setting” with Walter Clair, MD, MPH, and Kristy J. Sinkfield, Med, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Wednesday Oct. 25 — “The Social Medicine Program: Reflections and Implementation of a Health Equity Based Curriculum on the Social Determinants of Health” with Nasir Malim, DO, MPH, Mount Sinai Morningside
- Thursday Oct. 26 — “Pixels to People: Mapping the Equity Gaps in Radiology Artificial Intelligence” with Florence Doo, MD, MA, University of Maryland
- Friday Oct. 27 — “Addressing Health Disparities in Academic Medical Centers: The Duke Health Experience” with Erica Taylor, MD, MBA, Duke Health
Food will be provided for those who join in person. Registration is required. Visit https://www.vumc.org/radiology/diversity-inclusion to register.