Skip to main content

This was not a drill

Jan. 17, 2013, 9:46 AM

(photo by Steve Green)

The movie theater at the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt was one of three areas turned into a temporary patient unit to care for dozens of children exposed to carbon monoxide at a Nashville school earlier this week.

The hospital swung into action when it confirmed that at least two students had carbon monoxide poisoning, triggering the largest single-day mass casualty event since the hospital opened in 2004. Forty children age 5 to 11 were admitted on Monday evening and were treated with oxygen for 23 hours.

“Our team’s response to this event — the coming together of clinical leaders, care providers from all areas of the hospital and clinics, our support services ­— was remarkable. I am very appreciative of the great work done here,” said Children’s Hospital Chief of Staff Meg Rush, M.D.

Recent Stories from VUMC News and Communications Publications

Vanderbilt Medicine
Hope
Momentum
VUMC Voice

more