Committee appointed for Department of Emergency Medicine chair searchOct. 30, 2019, 2:39 PM
by John Howser
Jeff Balser, MD, PhD, President and CEO of Vanderbilt University Medical Center and Dean of Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, has appointed a 15-member committee to conduct a national search for a new chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine.
The search committee will be led by Ronald Alvarez, MD, Betty and Lonnie S. Burnett Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and chair of the department.
The new chair will succeed Corey Slovis, MD, who has served as Vanderbilt’s Emergency Medicine leader for more than 27 years.
At the completion of the search, Slovis will remain on faculty and continue to represent the Medical Center in the community through his role as medical director for Nashville Fire Department and Nashville International Airport.
“I want to express my appreciation again to Dr. Slovis for his many years of distinguished service to the Medical Center and to the members of the search committee for the important task ahead to identify his successor,” Balser said.
The Department of Emergency Medicine currently includes 60 faculty and is one of the nation’s most renowned departments for its clinical expertise, highly sought residency and fellowship programs, and for being one of the nation’s leaders in research.
In 2018, the department was ranked No. 10 among peers in overall research funding from the National Institutes of Health.
Members of the search committee members are:
- Raeanna Adams, MD, MBA, associate professor of Surgery
- David Charles, MD, professor of Neurology
- Andre Churchwell, MD, Senior Associate Dean for Diversity Affairs; Levi Watkins Jr., M.D. Professor of Medicine
- Walter Clair, MD, MPH, professor of Medicine
- Robert Dittus, MD, MPH, Senior Associate Dean for Population Health Sciences and Albert and Bernard Werthan Professor of Medicine
- Christina Estrada, MD, associate professor of Clinical Pediatrics and Emergency Medicine
- David Kennedy, MD, professor and chair of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- John McPherson, MD, Vice Chair for Education, Department of Medicine and Drs. Sol and Marvin Rosenblum Chair in Medicine
- Jameson Norton, MBA, Chief Executive Officer of Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and Clinics
- Reed Omary, MD, Carol D. and Henry P. Pendergrass Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences and chair of the department
- Warren Sandberg, MD, PhD, professor and chair of Anesthesiology
- Robin Steaban, MSN, RN, Chief Nursing Officer for Vanderbilt University Hospital and Clinics
- Paul Sternberg Jr., MD, George W. Hale Professor of Ophthalmology and chair of the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
- Rick Wright, MD, professor and chair of Orthopaedic Surgery.