Search committee for Department of Medicine chair appointedOct. 9, 2019, 3:36 PM
by John Howser
Jeff Balser, MD, PhD, President and CEO of Vanderbilt University Medical Center and Dean of the School of Medicine, has appointed a 20-member committee to conduct a national search for the new chair of the Department of Medicine.
The committee will be chaired by Dane Chetkovich, MD, PhD, professor and chair of the Department of Neurology and the Margaret and John Warner Professor of Neurological Education.
The new chair will succeed Nancy Brown, MD, who will step down from her role as the department’s leader to become dean of the Yale School of Medicine on Feb. 1, 2020.
“Dr. Brown has left an indelible mark on the Medical Center and it will be important to find the right individual to help advance the department,” Balser said. “I want to express my appreciation to the members of the search committee for their work.”
The Department of Medicine currently includes 928 faculty in 13 academic divisions and several interdisciplinary centers, who are joined by 157 residents and 280 fellows.
The department’s overall research funding is currently ranked second among the nation’s departments of medicine in terms of funding from the National Institutes of Health, while the impact of the department’s research has also grown as measured by citations and faculty members receiving increased recognition by external organizations.
Members of the search committee are:
- Nancy Carrasco, MD, chair of the Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics and the Joe C. David Professor of Biomedical Science
- Mary-Margaret Chren, MD, professor and chair of the Department of Dermatology and the Buchanan Lancaster Professor of Dermatology
- Mark Denison, MD, professor of Pediatrics, Pathology, Microbiology & Immunology, director of Pediatric Infectious Diseases and Craig-Weaver Professor of Pediatrics
- Joshua Denny, MD, MS, professor of Biomedical Informatics and Medicine and Vice President of Personalized Medicine
- Marilyn Dubree, MSN, Executive Chief Nursing Officer
- Katherine Hartmann, MD, PhD, professor of Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynecology, deputy director for the Institute of Medicine and Public Health and Lucius E. Burch Professor of Reproductive Physiology and Family Planning
- Stephan Heckers, MD, professor and chair of the Department of Psychiatry and William P. and Henry B. Test Professor of Schizophrenia Research
- Shubhada Jagasia, MD, MMHC, professor of Medicine and Co-Chief of Staff for Vanderbilt University Adult Hospital
- Seth Karp, MD, professor and chair of the Section of Surgical Sciences and H. William Scott Jr. Professor of Surgery
- Ege Kavalali, PhD, professor and acting chair of the Department of Pharmacology and William Stokes Professor of Experimental Therapeutics
- Scott McCarver, MHA, Chief Operating Officer and acting director for Vanderbilt University Adult Hospital
- Tom Nantais, MBA, Executive Vice President, Adult Ambulatory Operations
- David Penson, MD, professor and chair of the Department of Urology and Paul V. Hamilton, MD and Virginia E. Howd Professor of Urologic Oncology
- Jennifer Pietenpol, PhD, Executive Vice President for Research for VUMC, director of Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center and Benjamin F. Byrd Jr. Professor of Oncology
- Eric Skaar, PhD, professor and vice chair for Research in the Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology and Ernest W. Goodpasture Professor of Pathology
- Paul Sternberg Jr., MD, professor and chair of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences and George W. Hale Professor of Ophthalmology
- Kyla Terhune, MD, MBA, Vice President of Educational Affairs, VUMC, Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education, VUSM, associate professor of Surgery and Anesthesiology
- Edwin Trevathan, MD, MPH, professor of Pediatrics and Amos Christie Chair
- Consuelo Wilkins, MD, professor of Medicine and director of Meharry-Vanderbilt Alliance.