Vanderbilt-wide Limited Submission Opportunity: AAMC Herbert W. Nickens Faculty Fellowship; deadline is Jan. 12Dec. 13, 2021, 8:55 AM
This is a joint competition for VU and VUMC investigators. All investigators should follow these instructions.
Vanderbilt (VU + VUMC) may nominate one Assistant Professor for the Association of American Medical Colleges Herbert W. Nickens Faculty Fellowship.
The award recognizes an outstanding junior faculty member who:
- Demonstrates leadership potential in addressing inequity in medical education and health care
- Demonstrates efforts in addressing educational, societal, and health care needs of racial and ethnic minorities in the United States
- Is committed to a career in academic medicine
The recipient receives a $25,000 grant for a project performed in the United States to support racial and ethnic minorities.
The candidate must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Hold the rank of full-time assistant professor in a School of Medicine department.
- Have held the assistant professor position appointment beginning no earlier than July 1, 2019.
- Have received only one appointment as assistant professor.
- Hold a MD, PhD, or have earned another doctoral degree.
Internal Selection Process:
Anyone interested in being considered as Vanderbilt’s nominee must submit the following (in a single PDF) to LSO@vanderbilt.edu by 5 p.m. on Jan. 12, 2022.
In any of the sections below, please make sure to demonstrate efforts in addressing educational, societal, and health care needs of racial and ethnic minorities in the United States.
- A personal statement discussing your motivations and objectives for a career in academic medicine (1 page);
- A project description which could include project aims, objectives, goals, and potential accomplishments (1 page);
- Summary project budget with $25,000 limit (1/2 – 1 page);
- Statement of support from department chair/center director;
- Brief CV or NIH Biosketch (5 page max)
Any questions about this opportunity or the LSO process may be directed to LSO@vanderbilt.edu.