VUMC clinicians help shape popular health care softwareJul. 31, 2023, 2:50 PM
by Paul Govern
Twelve faculty members from Vanderbilt University Medical Center are among 627 clinicians currently serving two-year terms on 55 specialty steering boards constituted by Epic Systems Corp., based in Verona, Wisconsin.
Epic, a leading U.S. provider of health care software, supplies VUMC’s electronic health record and other software used for hospital and clinic operations at Vanderbilt. The company’s specialty steering boards are comprised of clinicians from customer organizations, nominated and elected by their peers.
The boards hold monthly meetings to shape specialty-based recommendations on content and workflow, provide feedback on software development plans and share best practices.
The 12 current Epic specialty steering board participants from VUMC are:
- Lisa Buckley, MD, assistant professor of Pediatrics.
- Cheryl Cobb, MD, associate professor of Clinical Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences.
- Paul Dressler, MD, MPH, assistant professor of Clinical Pediatrics, Division of Developmental Medicine.
- Sara Horst, MD, MPH, associate professor of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition.
- James Johns, MD, professor of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Cardiology.
- Yaa Kumah-Crystal, MD, MPH, MS, associate professor of Biomedical Informatics and Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Endocrinology.
- Nathaniel Lempert, MD, assistant professor of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Orthopaedics.
- Dara Mize, MD, assistant professor of Biomedical Informatics and Medicine, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism.
- Matthew O’Malley, MD, assistant professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- Travis Osterman, DO, MS, associate professor of Biomedical Informatics and Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology.
- Ashley Spann, MD, assistant professor of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition.
- Lyndy Wilcox, MD, MMHC, assistant professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.