Year in Review 2021: VUMC again lauded in multiple national rankingsDec. 16, 2021, 9:56 AM
During the past year, Vanderbilt University Medical Center placed highly in several national rankings and was honored with numerous awards.
- VUMC was named to U.S. News & World Report’s 2021-2022 Honor Roll of America’s Best Hospitals in the publication’s annual rankings of health care facilities. VUMC was the only health system in the Southeast to be named to this year’s Honor Roll.
In addition to inclusion in the Honor Roll, VUMC was named the No. 1 hospital in Tennessee and No. 1 in the Metro Nashville area and achieved nine, data-driven nationally ranked specialties.
- Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt was again named the No. 1 pediatric hospital in Tennessee, and in a new regional ranking, shared first place in the Southeast region, according to the latest U.S. News & World Report’s annual Best Children’s Hospital rankings.
Children’s Hospital achieved a maximum 10 out of 10 nationally ranked pediatric specialty programs, with four specialties earning a spot in the top 20. Children’s Hospital is one of only 22 pediatric hospitals in the nation to rank in all 10 specialties, and the only pediatric facility in Tennessee to attain this goal.
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine advanced five spots to 13th in the nation among research institutions in the 2022 U.S. News & World Report Best Graduate Schools rankings.
- Vanderbilt University Hospital (VUH) was again recognized among the safest hospitals in the nation after receiving a fall 2021 safety grade of “A” from the Leapfrog group.
Leapfrog’s Hospital Safety Score uses numerous measures of publicly available hospital data to produce a single score representing a hospital’s overall capacity to keep patients safe from infections, injuries and medical errors.
- VUH was named a Top Teaching Hospital by the Leapfrog Group, a large coalition of public and private purchasers of employee health coverage that works to encourage health care safety, quality and affordability.
The Top Hospital award is widely acknowledged as one of the most competitive awards American hospitals can receive. The quality of patient care across many areas of hospital performance is considered, including infection rates, surgery, maternity care, the hospital’s capacity to prevent medication and other errors and other qualities.
- Forbes recognized VUMC as one of America’s Best-In-State Employers for 2021 according to the publication’s annual award list published on Forbes.com.
This recognition was created through a survey of 80,000 U.S. employees across 25 industry sectors. Forbes collected direct recommendations from employees, as well as indirect recommendations from workers in the health care industry.
- VUMC achieved the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) Digital Health Most Wired Certified Acute Level 8, receiving the Quality Award.
The CHIME Digital Health Most Wired program conducts an annual survey to assess how effectively health care organizations such as VUMC apply core and advanced technologies into their clinical and business programs to improve health and care in their communities.