Year in Review 2022: Medical Center shines on multiple national rankingsDec. 15, 2022, 9:50 AM
During the past year, Vanderbilt University Medical Center placed highly in several national rankings and was honored with numerous awards.
- VUMC was named to U.S. News & World Report’s 2022-2023 Honor Roll of America’s Best Hospitals in the publication’s annual rankings of health care facilities. VUMC was the only health system in the Southeast to be named to this year’s Honor Roll.
In addition to inclusion in the Honor Roll, VUMC was named the No. 1 hospital in Tennessee and No. 1 in the Metro Nashville area.
- Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt was named the No. 1 pediatric hospital in Tennessee, and for the second year in a row was named the top children’s hospital in the Southeast, according to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Children’s Hospital rankings.
Monroe Carell achieved a maximum 10 out of 10 pediatric specialty programs nationally ranked, with three specialties earning spots in the top 20.
- Both Vanderbilt University Hospital (VUH) and Vanderbilt Tullahoma-Harton (VTHH) ospital were recognized as being among the safest hospitals in the nation after receiving a spring 2022 safety grade of “A” from the Leapfrog group.
Leapfrog’s Hospital Safety Score uses numerous measures of publicly available hospital data to produce a single score representing a hospital’s overall capacity to keep patients safe from infections, injuries and medical errors.
- Multiple Vanderbilt Health hospitals were recognized among the safest hospitals in the United States after receiving a fall 2022 safety grade of “A” from the Leapfrog group.
VUH, Vanderbilt Bedford County Hospital and Vanderbilt Tullahoma-Harton Hospital received A grades, and Vanderbilt Wilson County Hospital received a B grade.
- VUH was again named a Top Teaching Hospital by the Leapfrog Group.
The Top Hospital award is widely acknowledged as one of the most competitive awards American hospitals can receive. The quality of patient care across many areas of hospital performance is considered, including infection rates, surgery, maternity care, the hospital’s capacity to prevent medication and other errors and numerous other qualities.
- Monroe Carell was named a Leapfrog Top Hospital for 2022, earning the designation among a select group of children’s hospitals across the nation.
Monroe Carell is one of only 12 children’s hospitals in the nation and the only one in Tennessee to receive a spot on the Top Hospital list this year.
- VTHH was named among the top maternity hospitals in the nation by personal finance website Money, which teamed with the Leapfrog Group to develop the first Best Maternity Hospital ranking.
- VUMC was again named a Leader in LGBTQ+ Healthcare Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index. VUMC is the only organization in Tennessee to repeatedly be recognized for its commitment to adopting LGBTQ-inclusive patient, visitation and employment policies.
- VUMC was recognized with the 2022 Best Workplace for Men in Nursing Award from the American Association for Men in Nursing.
- VUMC was named as a BEST for Babies hospital by the Tennessee Department of Health.
The award recognizes labor and delivery, nursery and postpartum service efforts to reduce infant mortality utilizing Breastfeeding, Early elective delivery reduction and Safe sleep for Tennessee babies (BEST).