New phase Central Garage expansion begins in MarchFeb. 24, 2023, 3:55 PM
The kick-off phase of the 15-level Link Building project that involves adding three-floors to the Central Parking Garage is progressing on schedule. The newest phase in the largest project in Vanderbilt University Medical Center’s history will begin in mid-March with patient friendly improvements to traffic flow around and within the Central Garage.
Starting Saturday, March 18:
- The traffic light located at 21st and Vivien Thomas Way will be relocated North on 21st Ave. at the entrance of the future Link Building. This is also the new route to the MCE north and south towers pick-up and drop-off.
- Vivien Thomas Way will permanently close to vehicle traffic to expand the construction footprint that will become the patient-drop off area of the future Link Building. Plans to honor pioneer researcher Vivien Thomas in a visible and meaningful way are being developed.
- A new entrance only to the Central Garage will open on 21st Drivers parking will access the new entrance while approaching campus from 21st Ave. South and taking a right turn into the garage. Drivers traveling north on 21st Ave. South, will use the turning lane to turn left into the Central Garage.
- A new exit only from the Central Garage will open on Pierce Ave to make exiting the garage more convenient for patients.
- Traffic flow on Central Garage levels 2 and 3 will be permanently re-routed to better accommodate the new entrance and exit. On-site signage will direct drivers.
What Will Not Change at this time:
- The entrance/exit to the Central Garage from Medical Center Drive will not be impacted.
- No foot traffic routes for those parking in the garage will change.
- All elevators in the garage will remain open.
- The road closure on Medical Center drive will remain through the duration of the multi-year project.
Updates regarding those who work in, visit, or make deliveries to Oxford House.
- A new entrance for Oxford House occupants and visitors is being created on the alley side of the building between Oxford House and Medical Center East.
- Deliveries to Oxford House will be made through the newly created Medical Center East and Link Tower intersection/entrance, which is located just north of the current location. Deliveries will be on the back side of Oxford House.